The history of the present-day Heinrich-Schütz-Konservatorium Dresden dates back to 1890, which was the year Richard Ludwig Schneider, pianist and professor of the Royal Conservatory, founded the Dresdner Musikschule e. V. as a ‘place for nurturing true art’ right near the Frauenkirche.
The new institution is founded.
In 1962, the college of folk music at the time was named after Paul Büttner, a music teacher who had also worked as a composer, and as a choir and orchestra conductor.
In 1990, the folk music college was converted into a state college of music (Landesmusikschule), supported by the Saxon government from then on.
The Heinrich-Schütz-Konservatorium Dresden e. V. was created in 1996 as a result of a merger between this state college of music and the Municipal College of Music (Städtische Musikschule). Since its founding, it has been privately sponsored by a registered association chaired by then-president of the Saxon Music Council, Prof. Ingo Zimmermann.
The Heinrich-Schütz-Konservatorium (HSKD) has been part of the City of Dresden ‘family’ as an independent company since 2018. It currently has approx. 7,700 students and 248 teachers.